The rise of the remote worker.
Remote work has grown by 91% over the last 10 years and 159% in the last 12 years according to this Global Workplace Analytics & Flexjobs report.
Key insights from Buffer’s 2019 State of Remote Work report
- 99% would like to work remotely at least some of the time for the rest of their careers.
- 70% of people work remotely at least once a week.
- 90% of respondents feel more productive and get more work done when working remotely.
- 73% of all teams will have remote workers by 2028, according to a report by Upwork.
Is remote work for you?
Be honest with yourself about your habits, personality and the nature of your work. What motivates you—do you enjoy the office buzz? Think about your ideal day at the office—what energises you during the workday? Do you need to bounce ideas off of a desk neighbour? Do you have all the tools you need to stay connected? What new skills will you need to collaborate and communicate with your team?
Potential pros and cons of working remotely
(Buffer & C.I.P.D)
How to create good habits
- Find the right place, whether at home or in a co-working space.
- Have the right tools and work materials (invest yourself if necessary)—software and applications, hardware, office stationery.
- Set a schedule—include breaks too.
- Prioritise communication with colleagues.
- Have designated work clothes and aim to have a dedicated workspace if at home (e.g., desk vs living room couch).
- Reduce distractions.
- Use your peak energy hours effectively. At what times of the day do you feel most energised and focused? If you have a project that needs high levels of concentration, schedule it during this timeframe.
Best Blogs about Remote Work
6 culture questions to ask as a remote worker
How to live your best remote life
How to Practice Self-Care When Working Remotely
A day in the life of the “average” remote worker
Remote work: 9 tips for eliminating distractions and getting things done
Best Slack Communities for Remote Workers
Remote job sites and boards
Flexjobs: Top 100 Companies with Remote Jobs 2019
We Work Remotely
Remote jobs on Angellist
Remotive – in particular, The List of Awesome
Who Is Hiring?
Remote In Tech