Position: Director of Engineering, Auto group - 8182
Hiring Manager: Executive Vice President, Auto
Work Location: Irvine, CA
Oportun is a mission-driven, technology-powered provider of inclusive, affordable financial services and a certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI).
We seek to serve the 100 million people in the US who are shut out of the financial mainstream because they are credit invisible and/or mis-scored, due to a limited credit history. By lending money to hardworking, low-to-moderate income individuals, we help them move forward in their lives, demonstrate their creditworthiness, and establish the credit history they need to access new opportunities.
Since 2006, we’ve lent over $6.8 billion via 3.1 million affordable, small-dollar loans and have helped over 730,000 people start establishing credit. In recognition of our inventive approach, we were recognized by Time Magazine as one of 50 Genius Companies inventing the future.
The Bay Area News Group recognized Oportun as a Top Workplace in 2019. Come and be a part of our community of employees, partners, and customers who are devoted to expanding financial opportunity for millions. When we work together, we can make life better.
ABOUT TECHNOLOGY @ OPORTUN
The Technology team @ Oportun is dedicated to delivering and maintaining performant, elegant, and intuitive systems to our business partners and retail customers.
We work on a very unique platform, combining service-oriented platform services with sophisticated user experiences, all enabled through a best-in-class (and fun to use!) automated development infrastructure. We prove that FinTech is more fun, more challenging, and in our case, more rewarding as we build technology that changes our customers’ lives. At the corporate level, Oportun delivers a very supportive and welcoming service experience, with bilingual staff across channels, and operates more than 325 locations in CA, IL, AZ, FL, NM, TX, UT, NV & NJ, with mobile services available in MO, ID & WI.
SUMMARY & RESPONSIBILITIES
Oportun is looking for a seasoned engineering leader to help manage and grow a team of passionate Software and QA Engineers within Oportun's Auto Engineering Team. You are someone who thrives in a dynamic environment and has a track record of technical expertise and management responsibility. You would be responsible for leading Engineering/QA teams developing Oportun’s Auto loans Product built with MEAN stack. You will act as a liaison between your team and Senior Management, Product Management and Delivery Management etc. To do this, just must be able to:
• Manage and scale the high-performing team comprised of Engineers and Quality Assurance Engineers.
• Creation of goals and key results for each person on team.
• Performance management of team members (positive / negative) against objectives and expectations of the role (level appropriate).
• Set up an efficient development process, release process, QA process and software development guidelines
• Meet 1-1 and skip levels with team members on a regular basis.
• Recruit top talent, build, and maintain a high performing team.
• Collaborate with Product Management to deliver high quality product and on time.
• Collaborate across engineering teams within Oportun.
• Diagnose and resolve systemic obstacles that prevent your team from delivering high-quality software.
• Champion an atmosphere of continuous improvement by serving as a coach, mentor, and technical advisor.
• Charting the path between where someone is, where we want the team to go and ensuring there is a development plan in place to arm them with the required skill sets.
• Career development / couching of high-performance team members
• Ability to articulate how what the team does fits into the business we are in.
• Establish product delivery timelines.
• Apply organizational discipline and optimization to leverage engineering resources and meet product deadlines.
• 8+ years of experience in software development experience; MEAN stack experience highly preferred.
• 5+ years of experience building, managing and scaling remotely dispersed engineering teams.
• 5+ years of experience in recruiting and developing talent and managing remotely distributed teams.
• Experience using JIRA for tracking product development work
• Strong communication and organizational skills
• Strong product sense coupled with an ability to take a developer perspective.
• Ability to build strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
• Expert in performance and people management with a focus on mentoring and motivating engineers
• Very strong analytical skills – including requirements analysis, detailed planning and risk assessment.
• Fluent in good architecture design
• Passion for easily readable code and interest in getting close to the code
• MS in Computer Science
WE’D BE SUPER-EXCITED IF YOU ALSO HAVE:
• Experience with a Fintech
• Understanding of financial systems and/or terms, preferably loans or similar products
• Demonstrated ability to engage and influence both technical and non-technical audiences - from developer to CEO. Demonstrated ability to lead with enthusiasm and flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment.
• Demonstrated ability to learn, understand and work with new emerging technologies, methodologies and solutions in the fintech space.
We offer competitive salaries, bonuses, stock options, great benefits and a fully loaded laptop of your choosing. We have strong opinions about work/life balance and seek to create a comfortable and productive environment where we can ship apps that we’re proud of and that best serve our customers.
MORE ABOUT OPORTUN
Oportun is a financial technology company founded in 2005. Our mission is to provide affordable loans that help people with little or no credit history establish credit and build a better future. Oportun uses advanced data analytics and technology to “score” and lend money to individuals with limited credit history that other lenders consider “unscorable.”
In recognition of Oportun’s goals of increasing economic opportunity for our clients, promoting community development, and serving low-income or underserved communities, Oportun was certified by the United States Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution or CDFI.
At Oportun, everything we do reflects our corporate values of Service, Care, Innovation, Courage, Excellence, and Empowerment.
Oportun is a great place to work if you are as enthusiastic about helping others as you are about your own professional development and career. As our CEO Raul Vazquez says, “Earning a paycheck to support yourself and your family is critical. Satisfying career ambitions is rewarding. But there is no greater privilege than having a challenging job where you are growing and learning professionally, while having a strong positive impact on the lives of others… And that is what we do here every day.”
Oportun is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or other protected category.
(SF/RWC JOBS) We will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and any other applicable federal, state or local law.
E-Verify: Verification of Eligibility for Employment
Oportun participates in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security E - Verify program in all facilities in the United States. E-Verify is an internet-based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration and allows employers to confirm an individual’s employment eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply now to have the opportunity to be considered for similar jobs at leading companies in the Seen network for FREE.
The Technology team @ Oportun is dedicated to delivering and maintaining performant, elegant, and intuitive systems to our business partners and retail customers. We provide the platform, technology services, and interfaces that have enabled Oportun to serve over 1.3M customers with over $6 billion in life-changing, responsible loans disbursed.
We work on a very unique platform, combining service-oriented platform services with sophisticated user experiences, all enabled through a best-in-class (and fun to use!) automated development infrastructure. We prove that FinTech is more fun, more challenging, and in our case, more rewarding as we build technology that changes our customers’ lives. At the corporate level, Oportun delivers a very supportive and welcoming service experience, with bilingual staff across channels, and operates more than 300 locations in CA, IL, AZ, FL, NM, TX, UT, NV & NJ, with mobile services available in MO, ID & WI.
We offer competitive salaries, bonuses, stock options, great benefits and a fully loaded laptop of your choosing. We have strong opinions about work/life balance, and seek to create a comfortable and productive environment where we can ship apps that we’re proud of and that best serve our customers. The Bay Area News Group recognized Oportun as a Top Workplace in 2019
The interview process will differ depending on the nature of the role.
Zero stress and one profile that can connect you directly to 1000s of companies.
We’ll take it from there. After you tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll show you off to matches.
Boost your interview skills, map your tech career and seal the deal with 1:1 career coaching.
Join now and be seen.