Performs systems maintenance and improvement activities to support the effectiveness of the EMS. Participates in planning and evaluating the impact of system modifications and maintenance activities. Maximizes EMS uptime and mitigates system failures. Analyze user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate or improve the Energy Management and Market systems. Reviews computer system capabilities, workflow, and scheduling limitations. Designs systems solutions to help the organization operate more efficiently and effectively. Provides Energy Management and Market Systems 24 hour technical support for both EMS and Market Systems. Responsible for the integration of applications, code built, monitoring and regular maintenance of the Energy Management and Market Systems Environments and derived systems. Assists and supports the troubleshooting of technical problems that result from data communications, equipment, or systems failures, and by providing 24x7 technical support for EMS-related issues including State Estimator (SE) and associated Network Applications (real-time contingency analysis, Dispatcher Load Flow, etc).
Understands and applies principles, theories and concepts related to the profession and ERCOT's culture.
Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
Impact is generally limited to specific assignments or projects.
May respond to inquiries and/or provide assistance and/or guidance to lower level workers.
ADDITIONAL JOB DUTIES
• Routinely monitors EMMS systems and applications, as well as regular maintenance activities
• Coordinates and performs Database updates and upgrades in the EMMS environments
• Assist Operations Engineer, Market Operations, and other business units during EMS acceptance testing of new and/or enhanced applications
• Supports effective EMS use and administration by preparing and reviewing technical documentation
• Performs code build, patch implementation and migrations in the EMMS systems
• Performs system setup and testing with Market Participants as appropriate
• Responds to system failures and operator questions on a 24/7 basis
• Works with market participants to resolve problems and implement changes
Level 2 – Above +
• Performs emergency recovery and troubleshooting of EMMS system and applications
• Develops and maintains strong computer skills including in common business applications such as Excel, Word and Access
• Works on all aspects of Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition technologies (SCADA), including implementing new technologies and participating in the development of SCADA standards and processes, to ensure the effective administration and maintenance of the EMS
• Maintains real-time data collection to support EMMS functions
• Maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs the EMMS systems, applications, and interfaces
• Proactively identifies design problems and drives resolution
• Participates in EMMS Disaster Recovery Drills
• Tests, certifies, and implements changes to the EMMS Production and Test
Level 3 – Above +
• Interfaces with ERCOT QSEs on regular basis to perform communication test and support
• Analyzes system performance and recommends business enhancements
• Represents EMMS Production Department at interdepartmental meetings
• Works with vendors to clarify EMS capabilities and requirements; understands the vendor's needs, and resolve issues that may arise as the vendors work to make changes and improvements to the EMS
Senior – Above +
• Performs systems maintenance and improvement activities to support the effectiveness of the EMS
• Participates in planning and evaluating the impact of system modifications and maintenance activities
• Trains and supports EMS users on all aspects of the EMS and related applications
• Participates in industry meetings and discussions related to EMS technologies, to maintain and expand knowledge that is applied on the job
• May provide training or oversee the work of less experienced systems analyst
• May act as mentor and advisor to less experienced engineers/analysts
• Works independently on assignments and projects
• Participates in multifunctional teams to obtain input, address comments and perform studies
• Assists in developing tools, processes and procedures that enhance system reliability and departmental/organizational efficiencies
• Participates with other ERCOT departments to select and implement system changes as needed
Experience with Alstom ’s suite of EMS applications preferred
Experience with market systems, related to the deregulated electric industry, preferred
OSI Pi Historian Applications and Data Structure preferred
ERCOT data architecture and reporting preferred
Experience with Fortran, C, C++, Perl, TOAD preferred
Experience with Oracle, PL/SQL, XML, Java, and Web Technologies preferred
Knowledge of computer science is essential in performing this job. Power systems engineering background preferred. One or a combination of the following is required: power system, EMS, advanced network applications, CIMXML, real-time systems, market operation, EMS, web services, Oracle, SQL. Knowledge of Integration and Power
Level 2 Analyst:
Minimum 2 years’ experience in Energy Management Systems required. Four years’ experience preferred.
Level 3 Analyst:
Minimum 3 years’ experience in Energy Management Systems required. Four years’ experience preferred.
Senior Level Analyst:
Requires minimum 5 years related work experience in excess of degree requirements
Requires minimum 5 years experience in Energy Management Systems
Bachelor's Degree : Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field (Required)
Master's Degree : Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field (Preferred)
or a combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge to a major in such fields is required
Position is open to multiple job levels depending on the experience of the candidate identified during the recruitment process.
This position will be physically located in Taylor, TX, just northeast of Austin.
There are 2 positions available and open to multiple levels 2, 3, or Senior depending on the level of experience of the candidate identified.
Apply now to have the opportunity to be considered for similar jobs at leading companies in the Seen network for FREE.
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to 24 million Texas customers - representing about 90 percent of the state's electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 46,500 miles of transmission lines and 550 generation units. ERCOT also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 7 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. ERCOT's members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities (transmission and distribution providers), and municipal-owned electric utilities.
Competitive Benefits Package to include a 401K contribution of 10% of salary for all employees and also matches 75% of the employee contribution up to 6% of pay.
Phone screen with Recruiter, Technical interview with Hiring Manager, and Onsite interview with Hiring team.
Zero stress and one profile that can connect you directly to 1000s of companies.
We’ll take it from there. After you tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll show you off to matches.
Boost your interview skills, map your tech career and seal the deal with 1:1 career coaching.
Join now and Be Seen.