The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our engineering team. We're looking for someone with sharp technical chops, lots of experience, and great mentorship skills to build upon and grow our existing engineering efforts.
The Zebra is seeking a Senior Data Engineer for our dynamic start-up! This person will be responsible for helping us collect, connect, centralize, and curate our data. You will immediately contribute to our goal of using our rich datasets to make smarter business decisions. You should love releasing well-tested code multiple times a day, be ready to take ownership, and be thrilled about having broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in a massive industry.
What You'll Do:
- Have a meaningful role in the design and development of a reliable, effective and scalable data platform
- Design and implement fast and scalable data pipelines
- Create datasets that allow for more advanced reporting and analytics capabilities
- Mentor other engineers and analysts on data processing, data access and manipulation techniques
- Assist and guide the company in finding data-driven solutions to business problems
Our Match Made in Heaven:
- 5+ years of professional programming experience
- Experience with scalable data warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, etc)
- Exceptional experience with relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience with Hadoop, Spark, Flink, and/or related technologies
- Familiarity with event streams and stream processing
- Experience with microservice architecture
- Comfort with the Linux/Unix command line and shell scripting
- Deep understanding of one or more of the following languages: Python, Java, Scala
Experience That Would Impress The Heck Out of Us:
- 2+ years experience building large-scale, distributed, high-volume systems
- Experience building ML pipelines and deploying data science models to production
- A passion for problem solving and performance tuning with strong analytical capabilities
- A desire to follow and advocate for exceptional software engineering processes
- Significant experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Advanced degree in Computer Science
- A Github profile or public code portfolio
- Competitive compensation
- Health, dental, & vision benefits
- Working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people
- Stock options
- Wellness perk or monthly home maid service
- Work / Life Balance culture
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the most comprehensive online car insurance comparison platform in the U.S. Since 2012, the company has brought transparency and simplicity to car insurance shopping — “car insurance in black and white.” The Zebra compares over 200 car insurance companies, and with its real-time, side-by-side quote comparison tool, drivers can easily and quickly find the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Austin American-Statesman also awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Apply now to have the opportunity to be considered for similar jobs at leading companies in the Seen network for FREE.
The Zebra is transforming the multi-billion dollar insurance industry by providing consumers a simple, unbiased, and transparent way to compare and purchase insurance online.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success. When we're not working you can find us on a trip to find lunch at a nearby food truck, or playing ping pong in the break room.
Competitive compensation; health, dental, & vision benefits; working with a small team of passionate, collaborative and engaged people; stock options; monthly home maid service; feel good perk; work hard/play hard culture.
Python, Django, React, Node, NoSQL, SQL, Postgres, MongoDB, Go, RabbitMQ, AWS, Bash
Our process begins with a 30 minute phone screen. We'll ask a few questions to help us understand your experience and what motivates you, as well as give you a glimpse into what The Zebra is all about. From there, depending on the position, there may be a take-home coding challenge, followed by an in-person interview with a couple of our Engineers. We do our best to be transparent and respond quickly to ensure the entire process is a good experience for all involved!
Zero stress and one profile that can connect you directly to 1000s of companies.
We’ll take it from there. After you tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll show you off to matches.
Boost your interview skills, map your tech career and seal the deal with 1:1 career coaching.
Join now and Be Seen.