The System Administrator provides support for implementation, troubleshooting and maintenance of Information Technology (IT) systems. Manages IT system infrastructure and any processes related to these systems. Provides support to IT systems including day-to-day operations, monitoring and problem resolution for all of the client/server/storage/network devices, mobile devices, etc. Provides support for the dispatch system and hardware problems and remains involved in the resolution process. Configures and manages UNIX and Windows operating systems and installs/loads operating system software, troubleshoots, maintains integrity and configures network components along with implementing operating systems enhancements to improve reliability and performance. Provides specific detailed information for hardware and software selection, implementation techniques and tools for the most efficient solution to meet business needs, including present and future capacity requirements. Conducts testing of network design. Maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing, such as routers, multiplexers, firewalls, hubs, bridges, gateways, etc. Evaluates and reports on new communications technologies to enhance capabilities of the network. Supports and provides Tier 1 (Help Desk) and Tier 2 (Escalation) problem identification, diagnosis and resolution of problems. Provides support for the escalation and communication of status to agency management and internal customers.
- Lead System Administrator team and/or Help Desk team
- Provide technical execution oversight and training for lower level system administrators
- Define and implement policies and standards for allocation related to the use of computing resources
- Plan and implement software upgrades for Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) and Government Off-the-Shelf (GOTS) software to the Change Management process
- Plan and conduct testing using approved testing procedures for all new staged hardware/software (GFE), as well as components that have been updated, received patches, and/or have been repaired
- Provide advice and training to end-users
- Experience and/or familiarity with both Windows-based and UNIX/Linux-based system
- Demonstrated experience and/or familiarity with one of more of the following:
- Shell and scripting languages: Bourne, C, Krone, Bash, Perl, Batch, VBScript, etc.
- Windows, Solaris, AIX, Red Hat, IRIX, Linux or UNIX
- Networking protocols and applications (e.g., DNS, TCP/IP stack, sockets, console, license, NFS, SAMBA, and back-up, SAN and mail servers)
- Demonstrated experience and/or familiarity with trouble-ticket or other tracking system
- Manages the functionality and efficiency of a group of computers running on one or more operating systems
- Perform regular maintenance and troubleshooting on system
- Maintain the integrity and security of IT system
- Prepare and maintain system documentation and process documentation
- Interact with users
- Adhere to policies and standards for allocation related to the use of computing resources
- Develop and implement system testing strategies and document results
- Provide advice and training to end-users
- Provide remote access capability for users using approved secure access methods
- Provide software upgrade plans for Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) and Government Off-the-Shelf (GOTS) software to the Change Management process
- Conduct testing using approved testing procedures for all new staged hardware/software (GFE), as well as components that have been updated, received patches, and/or have been repaired
- Establish and maintain user accounts, passwords, etc.
- Support shift work, as required
- Experience or familiarity with Agile development methodology
- Eight (8) or more years of system administration experience required; Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Computer Systems Engineering or a related discipline is required; Master’s degree desired - Master’s degree in a related discipline may substitute for two (2) years of experience. A PhD may substitute for four (4) years of experience
- DoD 8570.1-M Compliance at IAT Level I required
- A+ CE
- Network+ CE
- Relevant certifications required (Red Hat, Microsoft, Oracle, Solaris, UNIX, etc.)
- Active Top Secret required; TS/SCI preferred
- U.S. Citizenship required
Apply now to have the opportunity to be considered for similar jobs at leading companies in the Seen network for FREE.
Zero stress and one profile that can connect you directly to 1000s of companies.
We’ll take it from there. After you tell us what you’re looking for, we’ll show you off to matches.
Boost your interview skills, map your tech career and seal the deal with 1:1 career coaching.
Join now and be seen.